With tornado season upon us I thought I would share some tips on preparing your program for natural or man-made disasters. When a natural or man-made disasters hits it can be scary for everyone involved. Below I listed some quick tips on what your program can do to help prepare for an emergency.
MAKE A PLAN: help ensure that all staff, parents and guardians are informed and know how to respond in various types of emergency situations.
- How to evacuate child and move them to a safe location
- How to notify parents and guardians
- How to reunite children with parents or guardians
- How to assist infants and children with specials needs in emergency situations
PRACTICE EMERGENCY DRILLS: Different types of emergencies require different types of responses. Be sure to practice each type of drill so they are familiar with each type of drill.
- Evacuation drills
- Shelter in place drills
- Lock down drills
CREATE A DISASTER KIT: Make sure you know all the special and medical needs of all the children in your program.
- Contact info and a picture of all children
- List of special needs
- First Aid supplies
- Comfort items
- Activities for children
- Battery powered flashlight and radio
- Medical supplies
- Non-perishable food items