Type: Long-Term Substitute (8-10 weeks; reports to the Head of Primary School)
Posted: September 22, 2017
Application Deadline: October 20, 2017 (preferred; position open until filled)
Start Date: approximately January 15, 2018
Note: position may start sooner as half-day Assistant Teacher due to increased enrollment
Evansville Day School (EDS), in partnership with parents, offers a student-centered, college preparatory program supported by a challenging and comprehensive curriculum that encourages each student from Junior Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 to strive for excellence in mind, body, and human spirit. EDS was founded in 1946 and remains the only independent school in the Southwest Indiana (tri-state) region. The school enrolls approximately 300 students and boasts a 40 acre wooded campus, an impressively diverse student body, and 100% four-year college placement.
As with all positions at Day School, teachers hold much more than a job. Educators enjoy the opportunity to be part of an intellectual, interesting, and supportive learning community with a myriad of ways to engage students, families, and colleagues as everyone participates in the life of the school. All Day School faculty and staff are asked to focus actions and decisions on what is best for the school and the students.
This position works with the Jr. Pre-K lead teacher in delivering a premier, experiential-based program to Day School’s youngest students. A successful assistant teacher manages the classroom effectively with compassion, energy, attention to detail, organization, and play and communicates effectively with colleagues, students, and families.
This position is full day (7:40am-3:15pm) and includes after school meetings and activities as needed.
• Serve as Co-Teacher to approximately 18 Jr. Pre-Kindergarten students.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with the lead teacher.
• Model, uphold, and reinforce positive, appropriate behavior with students.
• Perform regular Preschool duties during meetings, snack, transitions, etc.
• Maintain confidentiality regarding students, parents, and staff.
• Protect and enhance the physical well being of students.
• Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
• Associate’s Degree required; four-year degree preferred. Coursework in early childhood education a plus.
• Experience teaching Preschool age students.
• Excellent work ethic, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team.
• Passion for education and the EDS mission.
• All employees and volunteers must agree to a comprehensive background check.
• To apply send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Shannon Dierlam (Administrative Assistant) at email@example.com. Please include “Jr. Pre-K Maternity Leave position” in the subject line.