Evansville Day School
Junior Pre-Kindergarten Co-Teacher
Type: Full-Time Faculty (reports to the Head of Primary School)
Posted: April 30, 2018
Application Deadline: May 11, 2018 (preferred; position open until filled)
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Evansville Day School (EDS), in partnership with parents, offers a student-centered, college preparatory program supported by a challenging and comprehensive curriculum that encourages each student from Junior Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 to strive for excellence in mind, body, and human spirit. EDS was founded in 1946 and remains the only independent school in the Southwest Indiana (tri-state) region. The school enrolls approximately 310 students and boasts a 40 acre wooded campus, an impressively diverse student body, and 100% four-year college placement. The future is bright as EDS continues to innovate and provide a forward thinking college preparatory program for students.
As with all positions at Day School, teachers hold much more than a job. Educators enjoy the opportunity to be part of an intellectual, interesting, and supportive learning community with a myriad of ways to engage students, families, and colleagues as everyone participates in the life of the school. All Day School faculty and staff are asked to focus actions and decisions on what is best for the school and the students.
This position partners with the Jr. Pre-K co-teacher in delivering a premier, experiential-based program to Day School’s youngest students. A successful candidate manages the classroom effectively with compassion, energy, attention to detail, organization, and play and communicates effectively with colleagues, students, and families. This includes welcoming frequent parent interaction and regular feedback in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Because Jr. Pre-Kindergarten is the largest entry point into Day School this position also includes partnering with the Admission Office in welcoming, evaluating, helping to enroll, and retaining prospective families.
This position is full day (approximately 7:40am-3:30pm) and includes after school meetings and activities as needed.
● Serve as Co-Teacher to approximately 18 Jr. Pre-Kindergarten students.
● Collaborate and communicate effectively with an experienced co-teacher.
● Build curriculum in collaboration with other Preschool teachers and school administrators.
● Intentionally establish a safe, positive, inclusive classroom environment using best practices in social-emotional development.
● Implement innovative methods to engage students and develop Day School’s Portrait of a Graduate attributes.
● Communicate regularly with parents and other stakeholders.
● Perform regular Preschool duties during meetings, snack, transitions, etc.
● Maintain confidentiality regarding students, parents, and staff.
● Pursue ongoing professional development.
● Maintain classroom budget.
● Participate in (or lead) faculty, divisional, and departmental meetings.
● Other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
● Bachelor’s (four-year) degree required; preferably in early childhood education
● Experience teaching Preschool age students.
● Innovative and flexible, and embraces Day School’s Portrait of a Graduate
● Excellent work ethic, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team.
● Ability to meet deadlines, balance competing priorities, and maintain a sense of humor.
● Appreciation for the unique character and special demands of working at an independent school.
● Passion for education and the EDS mission.
● All employees and volunteers must agree to a comprehensive background check.
● To apply send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Shannon Dierlam (Administrative Assistant) at email@example.com. Please include “Preschool Teacher” in the subject line.